yet another ban-topic

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

fr0y0
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:13 am

yet another ban-topic

Postby fr0y0 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:25 am

helps to see i'm not the only one getting frustrated by EFnet.

well,i am banned from most EFnet servers. or lets say, i didnt find one i'm not banned from yet.
i used the URL that came with my k-line to request removal for my IP from the banlist. actually i did that two times but i got banned again last night.
reason is always the same: insecure proxy and/or viruses, spyware, adware, backdoors. i dont even use a porxy afaik and scanned my system several times.
so i tried what you suggest most people: log on to chat.efnet.org and /stats p the server i'm banned from to contact the ops. and thats actually the thing that doesnt work. if i type /stats p [server name] i get a pop-up saying "403 - forbidden. not allowed to use POST" (or something like that :S)

hope someone can help me out. thanks in advance :?
jilles
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:18 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: yet another ban-topic

Postby jilles » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:01 pm

fr0y0 wrote:helps to see i'm not the only one getting frustrated by EFnet.

well,i am banned from most EFnet servers. or lets say, i didnt find one i'm not banned from yet.
i used the URL that came with my k-line to request removal for my IP from the banlist. actually i did that two times but i got banned again last night.
reason is always the same: insecure proxy and/or viruses, spyware, adware, backdoors. i dont even use a porxy afaik and scanned my system several times.
so i tried what you suggest most people: log on to chat.efnet.org and /stats p the server i'm banned from to contact the ops. and thats actually the thing that doesnt work. if i type /stats p [server name] i get a pop-up saying "403 - forbidden. not allowed to use POST" (or something like that :S)

hope someone can help me out. thanks in advance :?
Blacklists usually cause a kline for 24 hours; the kline is not automatically removed if you are removed from the blacklist.

There's not much point in /stats p if you're on a blacklist, the opers cannot remove you from the blacklist.

If you're blacklisted again then either your computer or another computer on the same external (public) IP is still infected. For the latter case look if you have a router or other device for sharing one internet connection among multiple computers (often known as a NAT device). Make sure all computers in your house are clean.

It is also possible that your ISP is a cheapskate and uses the same external IP for multiple customers. You may see this if the IP which the servers report as your IP is not configured on your computer nor on your router nor on any device of yours. In that case, if any customer is abusive or has a virus, etc., all of them are banned. This kind of ISP is not suitable if you want to connect to EFNet reliably.

It is also possible you get a new IP regularly and the previous user was abusive or infected. A dirty solution then is to get a new IP, reboot your router, etc. You need to be sure your own stuff is clean otherwise you will just be banned again. Note that this may be considered ban evasion. Lots of abuse from a net block may lead to the entire ISP being banned.
fr0y0
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:13 am

Re: yet another ban-topic

Postby fr0y0 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:20 pm

jilles wrote:If you're blacklisted again then either your computer or another computer on the same external (public) IP is still infected. For the latter case look if you have a router or other device for sharing one internet connection among multiple computers (often known as a NAT device). Make sure all computers in your house are clean.
...which is actually th case. I use a router. All other machines are clean.
edit: Besides, these two other computers werent even on duty (is that correct english? oO) when the ban actually happened.
jilles wrote:It is also possible that your ISP is a cheapskate and uses the same external IP for multiple customers. You may see this if the IP which the servers report as your IP is not configured on your computer nor on your router nor on any device of yours. In that case, if any customer is abusive or has a virus, etc., all of them are banned. This kind of ISP is not suitable if you want to connect to EFNet reliably.
Well, I think I wont change my ISP just to connect to EFnet properly :D But thats good to know, thanks :)
jilles wrote:It is also possible you get a new IP regularly and the previous user was abusive or infected.
Seems in that case I cant do much, except the things you suggested... Are there EFnet servers that ignore the blacklist?
User avatar
orange1
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:51 pm
Contact:

Postby orange1 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:55 pm

open proxy monitors are required for servers on efnet, and blacklists are part of that.
and that 403 error you got might be something for one of the chat.efnet.info admins to take a look at, doesn't look right.
User avatar
munky
Site Admin
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:54 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ
Contact:

Postby munky » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:09 pm

i doubt you got the 403 post denied from chat.efnet.org, as cgi:irc works through post constantly (i just tested it and checked the logs, so i know it's working)

it's possible your ISP is using a web proxy that is configured to block POST. it would appear that your ISP does at least use a web proxy, as very few clients have an IP where the last octet is "1"

i think we're going to need more information to help further
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
fr0y0
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:13 am

Postby fr0y0 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:35 pm

Tell me what information you need and I will see what I can do. :)
User avatar
munky
Site Admin
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:54 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ
Contact:

Postby munky » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:05 pm

the exact ban message you get when connecting
which ip you connect from
what servers you seem to be banned from may be of some help
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests