channel list out put

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

moopa
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:06 pm

channel list out put

Postby moopa » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:14 pm

:( Hi there,I'm having troubles lately on efnet using mIRC(any version).When trying to get a listing of the channels,it starts up,and then quits saying something like,channel list out put too big,truncated....what is this,and how do i fix it? I tried adjusting number of channels to list,as well as selecting channels with certain prefixes,but to no avail.Any help would be appreciated,thankx.
User avatar
munky
Site Admin
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:54 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ
Contact:

Postby munky » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:23 pm

some servers will have a maximum number of responses allowed via /list, while others may send it to you so fast you get disconnected due to 'max send queue exceeded'.
your best bet is to either limit the number of responses by setting criteria (like only channels with minimum 10 users or more), or by using an online irc listing program like http://www.searchirc.com
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
wundr
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:34 pm
Location: Japan

Postby wundr » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:56 am

munky wrote: your best bet is to either limit the number of responses by setting criteria (like only channels with minimum 10 users or more), or by using an online irc listing program like http://www.searchirc.com
My understanding was that such filtering was done client-side, while the server sends a listing of ALL (-s, -p) channels. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Also, another place to search for channels is at http://www.irchelp.org/chanlist/ .
leeh
ircd-ratbox coder
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:43 pm
Location: UK

Postby leeh » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:19 pm

wundr wrote:
munky wrote: your best bet is to either limit the number of responses by setting criteria (like only channels with minimum 10 users or more), or by using an online irc listing program like http://www.searchirc.com
My understanding was that such filtering was done client-side, while the server sends a listing of ALL (-s, -p) channels. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Also, another place to search for channels is at http://www.irchelp.org/chanlist/ .
Yup. Generally, efnet servers only either allow one specific channel, or a full list. Its up to the client to then filter it..
tabarnac
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:29 pm
Location: Earth

Re: channel list out put

Postby tabarnac » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:53 pm

moopa wrote:When trying to get a listing of the channels,it starts up,and then quits saying something like,channel list out put too big,truncated....what is this,and how do i fix it?
Looks like it's no longer possible to do a /list , as Hybrid/RatBox will truncate it. I even tried getting a list from nac and prison, almost same result, except that csircd doesn't care about sending a message to the client that the listing has stopped. At this point, you just assume the server died or you got into a major lag somewhere, when it's not the case.
leeh
ircd-ratbox coder
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: channel list out put

Postby leeh » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:36 pm

tabarnac wrote:Looks like it's no longer possible to do a /list , as Hybrid/RatBox will truncate it. I even tried getting a list from nac and prison, almost same result, except that csircd doesn't care about sending a message to the client that the listing has stopped. At this point, you just assume the server died or you got into a major lag somewhere, when it's not the case.
The reason its truncated is because of the large output. Normally when the output of /list overflowed the sendq (common enough) the user would just get disconnected. The truncation simply stops the output shortly before you reach your sendq limit, to stop you being disconnected.

This isnt a specific ircd thing - its simply a matter of what size sendq you have on a server. Given /list output is ~620kb, its no suprise most servers wont let you grab a full output. Its just that ratbox servers, and some hybrid servers will stop the output before you flood offline.

As for the specific servers you mentioned, it just happens that prisons user sendq is large enough to accomodate the output, whereas nacs isnt.

Frankly, /list is a waste of bandwidth anyway.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests