N00b alert. After some pointers on shell axx to efnet

Help with EFnet related issues

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/Help Moderators

Mal

N00b alert. After some pointers on shell axx to efnet

Postby Mal » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:46 pm

Got myself a shell which i use the Putty.exe 0.52b program to ssh axx.

I am a completely n00b to this - all i need are some good refernece sites to walk me through connecting to efnet with a vhost so my ip is not clearly visible.

Willing to learn - just cant seem to find the right sites - and info would be greatly appreciated

REgards

M
lucy

Postby lucy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:48 pm

you should probably email support for the shell company, cause i doubt this will make any sense to you...

first you have to find out from the shell company what the vhosts are that they have available, usually by typing vhosts on the shell.
then you use an irc client. you can normally use something like BitchX, right on the shell by typing BitchX <nick> -H <vhost> <server>
or use something called bnc (or psybnc or ezbouce) which you can sometimes install from the shell, but sometimes you need to use an ftp client and get it from a website and then upload it to your shell and then compile it and then after its running, use a program like mirc to access it.

search on google for BitchX and bnc and you can probably find some tutorials. GOOD LUCK
Mal

Postby Mal » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:12 pm

OK - thx for that - i was doing the BitchX command but not putting the efnet server on the end. Logged into efnet server and got into the channels i wanted. I am used to using mIRC to axx efnet but trying with the shell is v. v. wierd. I can eaisly join the group using the /join command. Still figuring out how to quit a channel without quitting completely - but that will come.

Was having a play around trying to connect to an fserve - is this possible ??? i tried and it seemd to bomb out half way thru that warning text file - says c or s to cont. or stop - neither seem to do anything.

Is it possible to log onto a fserve through this method and if i selected to get a file - where would this be d/loaded to ?? Its just way different to the irc clients like invision adne xcursion that i am used to

Regards

M
Osc

Postby Osc » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:38 pm

This isn't complete but may help you:
http://www.mindspring.com/~allenc/ssh/ssh-tunnel.txt
irc.he.net Notice -- Osc (osc@irc.packetmonkeys.com) is now an operator
<CHANFIX> You're now logged in with the following flags: ADMIN.
<OCF> Authentication successful. Welcome, Osc.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:35 pm

if you want to use mirc, probably the easiest thing to do is set up a bnc
http://www.koolkrazy.com/mirc/bnc.php

osc's ssh tunnel suggestion would also work, and give you encryption between you and your shell, but it's more complex to setup. and personally, i like to use cygwin to create an ssh tunnel

ssh -D 427 -l username shell.com

then in mirc (or whatever other program), you set up to use a socks 4 proxy on localhost:427.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.