IRC:CGI help

Discussion of and help with popular IRC Clients.

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Software/IRC Clients Moderators

cosmo
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:41 am

IRC:CGI help

Postby cosmo » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:52 am

Hi, i am running on a channel called #mmradio and i tried to install the same webchat you guys are running from http://www.efnet.info/?module=webchat

However it got k-lined after short time, i think its because all users that connected got my servers ip and ident. How do i avoid this from happening? i tried to read all the documentation on the CGI:IRC webpage but didnt find any solution to this problem.

I would love to get some help here, or just some pointers what to do about this problem.

Kind regards
Cosmo
admin @ http://www.megamixers.net
Hardy
Site Admin
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:54 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: IRC:CGI help

Postby Hardy » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:38 pm

cosmo wrote:Hi, i am running on a channel called #mmradio and i tried to install the same webchat you guys are running from http://www.efnet.info/?module=webchat

However it got k-lined after short time, i think its because all users that connected got my servers ip and ident. How do i avoid this from happening? i tried to read all the documentation on the CGI:IRC webpage but didnt find any solution to this problem.

I would love to get some help here, or just some pointers what to do about this problem.

Kind regards
Cosmo
admin @ http://www.megamixers.net
Hi, the reason you were klined is most likely because the cgi:irc webchat uses the host of the machine its installed of, instead of "forwarding" the users real host, so you ended up with a lot of users from your own host and was automaticly klined for drones.

The way i see it you have two choises if you wish to use this toward efnet:

1. use our webchat for your clients instead, considering its local to irc.servercentral.net it has good connectivity toward EFnet

2. Ask a friendly irc-admin out there if he waould grant you some special authentication lines so you can have more clients from the webchat you have created. I would recommend finding the server closest to your webchat if so, "/admin irc.server" and mail the contact adress there asking politly if he would do that. Not sure that everyone will answer you tho... some admins are lazy :)
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
cosmo
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:41 am

Postby cosmo » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:26 pm

Hi hardy, thanks for your reply

I saw some ident changes i could make serverside on the irc:cgi site, you
know if that would help me not getting k-lined on the efnet servers?

Your suggestions sounded good, however i would like to have that personal look of the login to the chat that would suit my own page, so i cant just link to your chat, or can i? with my own login design, and serverlist to use?

Hope you respond to this :)

Kind regards
Cosmo
wundr
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:34 pm
Location: Japan

Re: IRC:CGI help

Postby wundr » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:26 pm

Hardy wrote:The way i see it you have two choises if you wish to use this toward efnet:

1. use our webchat for your clients instead, considering its local to irc.servercentral.net it has good connectivity toward EFnet

2. Ask a friendly irc-admin out there if he waould grant you some special authentication lines so you can have more clients from the webchat you have created. I would recommend finding the server closest to your webchat if so, "/admin irc.server" and mail the contact adress there asking politly if he would do that. Not sure that everyone will answer you tho... some admins are lazy :)
or, use a web-based IRC client written in Java. That way, the program shows up on the web page, but is actually run locally on the person's computer, so THEIR IP shows up when they connect, not the web server's. A common Java IRC applet is JPilot jirc (http://www.jpilot.com - free shareware download, it seems), or there are many others. The difficulty of running this sort of program is that since the program connects from the person's computer to the IRC server, any firewalls or other blocks on IRC they may have on their (work/school/etc.) network still apply.
User avatar
munky
Site Admin
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:54 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ
Contact:

Postby munky » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:33 pm

if you are going to be requesting an I:line from a server, make sure you set encoded_ip = 2 in your config, and turn off ident
this will make your users connect as ~82b2ca09@your.webserver.com (where 82b2ca09 would be whatever hex encoded ip). this would allow the opers of that server to kline an individual user if they were causing problems, without having to kline all users on your host.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
cosmo
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:41 am

Postby cosmo » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:34 pm

Well the problem with the java chat is that it requires people to download java to get it working, and not that many people are crazy about that.

If you are running on a WinXP system you would have to get java installed before getting this java chat to work.. thats just way to much hassle compared to this nice cgi chat that runs no regard of how much java you got on your machine :)
User avatar
munky
Site Admin
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:54 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ
Contact:

Postby munky » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:02 pm

cgi:irc can also be used on WinCE terminals and other non-java enabled web browsers, which can be handy for those that want to get their pocketpc or other mobile devices on IRC
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
leeh
ircd-ratbox coder
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:43 pm
Location: UK

Postby leeh » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:16 pm

cosmo wrote:I saw some ident changes i could make serverside on the irc:cgi site, you
know if that would help me not getting k-lined on the efnet servers?
I dont think theres much you can do to stop yourself getting klined. The fact is, webchats like this get abused - especially if you dont restrict it to one specific server. If you dont, then people can go on *any* network and start flooding people or just generally abusing, as theres noone known for opers to contact for abuse, it'll more than likely be klined because its not worth the hassle.

Whereas with efnet.info's, opers know who runs it and as its restricted to servercentral (I believe), any abuse can be effectively dealt with.

Webchats like this shouldnt be open to any server because they get abused. If its restricted to one server, then you should have that servers support -- and I dont think many (if any at all) admins on efnet will give you it, because the webchat thats hosted here works fine. :)
User avatar
munky
Site Admin
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:54 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ
Contact:

Postby munky » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:03 pm

if you do happen to find a server that will allow you to connect to them, i have a little php i threw together for editing the ipaccess file via webpage. it may make it easier to negotiate if you can tell the /admin they can go to http://your.server.com/ipaccess/ to ban users.

also, depending on what type of crowd you expect to be using your webchat, you may find it easier to simply run your own standalone ircd. then you can allow as many webchat connections as you want.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
stanislaw
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:32 am

Re: IRC:CGI help

Postby stanislaw » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:38 am

Hardy wrote:1. use our webchat for your clients instead, considering its local to irc.servercentral.net it has good connectivity toward EFnet
Is there a way to /embed/ EFNet's CGI:IRC client in a foreign website? If yes, then could you please give us instructions?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests