Firewall Setup??

Discussion of and help with popular IRC Clients.

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Software/IRC Clients Moderators

DungeonRaider

Firewall Setup??

Postby DungeonRaider » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:04 am

I'm not sure if this is a client issue or not; but I recently installed the ZoneAlarm personal firewall and thought I had it configured correctly to allow mIRC to connect but I got banned for having an open proxy.

Can anyone perhaps spell out the settings I should use in the firewall setup for mIRC?

Or am I wrong in thinking this is the cause?
DungeonRaider

Postby DungeonRaider » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:43 am

Actually, I unsinstalled Zonalarm and am still getting it. And I tried reconnecting (I'm on dial-up and thought a previous user on the same IP may have done something) but it appears my ISP has established a proxy for all connections - though it must have been recently as I've connected without a problem just a few days ago???

Help!!!!

(btw I realise this is now OT for this forum, unless it's still a client issue, so suggestions as to the appropriate forum would also be appreciated.)
wundr

Postby wundr » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:33 pm

If you were banned, the ban is still there even after you uninstall software on your computer. the ban doesn't know what you did or didn't do to rectify the problem. If it is a temporary ban, it'll expire and be removed automatically. If you are permanently banned, you'll have to use a different server (listed under the 'servers' link on the front page of this web site). Once you are connected to EFnet again, you can do /stats p irc.server.name (inserting the server from which you were banned), which will give you a list of opers on that server and their idle time in seconds. you can then /msg them to explain your situation.