mIRC keeps disconnecting from a server

Discussion of and help with popular IRC Clients.

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Software/IRC Clients Moderators

-wassup-

mIRC keeps disconnecting from a server

Postby -wassup- » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:45 pm

my mIRC client will start randomly disconnect from a server and do it many times in a row. it has nothing to do with my internet connection or the server. it does it sometimes on efnet, sometimes on my net, sometimes at another net.

<-- Alex has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
<-- Alex has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

happens over and over again and then stops doing it

i'm on mirc 6.16 and the only script i have is compinfo for IRCn although IRCN is not installed. i know it has nothing to do wtih my internet connection because mirc stays connected to the other ents and my xchat client is perfectly stable.
lucy

Postby lucy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:13 pm

my mirc keeps disconnecting too :cry:
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:46 am

well at least i know i'm not an anomoly now :P

i think computers hate me
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:01 pm

i thought we determined a long time ago that your cable sucks, lucy? ;)

most 'software caused..' disconnects are either your connection (anywhere from bad drivers to bad phone line to bad isp), or your mirc script and/or bnc isn't coded correctly and doesn't throttle itself on connect, resulting in flooding yourself offline. next time you start disconnecting repeatedly, try closing all channel windows and reconnecting.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
lucy

Postby lucy » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:24 pm

well i know it was my cable connection yesterday.
today is a tad bit better
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:14 pm

munky wrote: most 'software caused..' disconnects are either your connection (anywhere from bad drivers to bad phone line to bad isp), or your mirc script and/or bnc isn't coded correctly and doesn't throttle itself on connect, resulting in flooding yourself offline. next time you start disconnecting repeatedly, try closing all channel windows and reconnecting.
my mirc script doesnt touch connect, so does stock mirc have problems throttling itself on connect?
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:03 pm

well i took the plunge and installed win xp sp2 (yes my computer still boots). i believe this has fixed that winsock error causing mirc to disconnect.
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:04 pm

oh yeah....almost forgot about this

/me knocks on wood
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:51 pm

your mirc script doesn't have to have on *:connect: lines to cause it to flood itself offline. it can have on *:join:, and if you join a lot of channels on connect, it runs that script with for each join. depending on what your script does (way back when i used mirc, i would /who #channel and mark all nicks on my server in green in the nicklist), you might be flooding yourself. you can resolve this by either scripting in a command queue, or using mircs built-in flood control. i believe it should let you slow down how fast commands are sent to the server if the buffer gets to be too large.
In God we trust,
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:47 pm

my script does not use *:connect at all. all it does is /compinfo and displays:
<Alex> ([OS: WindowsXP Professional, Service Pack 2 5.1 2600][CPU: 2-Intel Pentium 4][MHz: 3000][Cache: 1024KB (0% Load)]) (Display:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900XT[Res: 1024x768@32bit]) (RAM [total 1gb][Free 594.15mb:58%][Used 429.33mb:42%]) (Disk[Free: 84.72gb/Total: 111.79gbUsed: 27.07gb]) (Network: [#1 (Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport (100Mb/s) 64.87MB In, 8.36MB Out)])

it even happens when i only do one command on a server which is join a relatively small (15-20) user channel.
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:49 pm

okay so it didnt fix it :cry:

back to square one
tetedupet

Postby tetedupet » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:50 pm

munky wrote:your mirc script doesn't have to have on *:connect: lines to cause it to flood itself offline. it can have on *:join:, and if you join a lot of channels on connect, it runs that script with for each join. depending on what your script does (way back when i used mirc, i would /who #channel and mark all nicks on my server in green in the nicklist), you might be flooding yourself. you can resolve this by either scripting in a command queue, or using mircs built-in flood control. i believe it should let you slow down how fast commands are sent to the server if the buffer gets to be too large.
It's possible to queue things like that :)

on me:*:JOIN:#:{
set -u600 %whochan.channels. $+ $cid $addtok($($+(%,whochan.channels.,$cid),2), $chan, 32)
if (!$timer($+(WhoChan.,$cid))) $+(.timerWhoChan.,$cid) 1 10 whochan.q
}
alias whochan.q {
if $($+(%,whochan.channels.,$cid),2) && $gettok($($+(%,whochan.channels.,$cid),2), 1, 32) {
.raw WHO $ifmatch
set -u600 $+(%,whochan.channels.,$cid) $deltok($($+(%,whochan.channels.,$cid),2), 1, 32)
$+(.timerWhoChan.,$cid) 1 10 whochan.q
}
}

Like so!

tetedupet
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:18 pm

yes, i know it's possible to queue stuff like that, that's why i said "can resolve this by either scripting in a command queue, or using mircs built-in flood control" :P

and wassup: don't look at on *:connect:, look at on *:join: if you are reconnecting and your client rejoins channels on connect.
In God we trust,
kea

Re: mIRC keeps disconnecting from a server

Postby kea » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:11 pm

-wassup- wrote: <-- Alex has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
do you have real IP or you are behind some NAT router?
and does this happens usually when you are afk?