efnet.teleglobe.net delinks

EFnet IRC Network News

Moderator: Website/News Moderators

munky
Site Admin

efnet.teleglobe.net delinks

Postby munky » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:57 pm

Amid discussions of a botched server move that resulted in many confused EFnet users ending up on Undernet, teleglobe has decided to delink their server entirely from EFnet.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
prz

Re: efnet.teleglobe.net delinks

Postby prz » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:43 pm

good luck!
nos

Postby nos » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:06 pm

I don't see what the big deal would be. EFnet admins/opers are running to Undernet, you already have servers sponsored from hosting companies that have servers on both networks, Undernet has or is considering utilizing EFnet's chanfix, I don't see what the big difference is. The two should just merge with what's left.
phisher1

Postby phisher1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:07 pm

[quote="nos"]I don't see what the big deal would be. EFnet admins/opers are running to Undernet, you already have servers sponsored from hosting companies that have servers on both networks, Undernet has or is considering utilizing EFnet's chanfix, I don't see what the big difference is. The two should just merge with what's left.[/quote]

And what to do with all the conflicting "owners" of channels and nicknames? I'm sure everyone would just agree to share right?
hyperion

Postby hyperion » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:54 am

I just sometimes chat on EFNet and have no idea why or if a merge with Undernet is considered, but if it is, the channel ownership issue could be solved by creating namespaces, like all former Undernet channels become #Undernet/foo and all EFNet channels #EFNet/bar. Later on people can do whatever they want and possibly agree on sharing power on hypothetic #foobar channel, or not.

About nicks, mostly it's the same people being logged on to both networks so that won't be a big problem, losing a nickname isn't really an issue.
prz

Postby prz » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:13 pm

This "merger" you speak of, is unrealistic at the time being. Not to mention, why would two already established and accomplished networks just decide to merge? Especially, over a single server? haha. Sounds silly, and out of left field.

- prez (e: prez@dal.net)
dubkat

Postby dubkat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:09 am

this would never fly.
end of discussion. :)