irc.blessed.net relinks to EFnet

EFnet IRC Network News

Moderator: Website/News Moderators

doug
Site Admin

irc.blessed.net relinks to EFnet

Postby doug » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:04 am

Dallas, Texas - Only a few weeks after a formal delink, irc.blessed.net relinked their IRC server from Globalcon.net, LLC's network in Dallas Texas. The administrators of the server are still Salvation and Merch^. A new admin was added, ^duck^. The server is open-I, but no longer accepts SSL connections.
dubkat

Re: irc.blessed.net relinks to EFnet

Postby dubkat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:05 am

Welcome back blessed! :)
Salvation

Postby Salvation » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:49 am

We are thankful to Globalcon for hosting us and to EFnet for allowing us back. We currently do not support SSL due to a bug, at the time of relinking, in ratbox3 beta code that could have made us unstable during our trial link. When ratbox3 is in final release, we will get ratbox3 and SSL back up and running..
doug
Site Admin

Postby doug » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks for the update.. I'll edit the original post re SSL..
nos

Postby nos » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:02 am

It's a little hard to understand why GlobalCon would sponsor an EFnet server after explicitly stating the amount of attacks it has gotten from it's recent UnderNET link has negatively impacted their network. Chalk GlobalCon up with the likes of Choopa and ServerCentral that host large irc servers yet disallow their customer base from running IRC.
Salvation

Postby Salvation » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:34 am

We have decided to update our ircd to ratbox 3 this evening and now support SSL again on ports 6697, 7000, 7001 and 9999.
doug
Site Admin

Postby doug » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:47 am

nos wrote:.. ServerCentral that host large irc servers yet disallow their customer base from running IRC..
SC customers are certainly permitted to IRC from their machines at SC, which is why we have special connection classes on our IRC servers for our netranges.
The policy is in place to discourage noobs from renting a colocated server and trying to link to wareznet, or running a drone hive, etc.
In short, any 'major' IRC server which is operated from the SC network is operated by us. We operate servers on quakenet and efnet.

I can't speak for Choopa and GlobalConn, but I assume their policies are in place for similar reasons.