Page 1 of 1

Server linking

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:44 pm
by BrainRooT
Hi..
How are the procedures (if it is possible) to link a server (from Portugal) to EFnet?

thanks

E.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:11 pm
by munky
the old guidelines used to be ftp://ftp.blackened.com/pub/irc/new-ser ... elines.txt
but i believe things have changed since that was last in use.

iirc, new (US) servers must have a current admin that supports the it. i'm not sure on EU new server policies.

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:06 am
by seiki
That url, munkaroo, is for new US server links, and it's current, or should be soon. It requires a vote on US admins to change/update it, which I believe Disciple is doing.

Since this proposed server is in portugal, he's going to want the EU application which is at: http://www.eu-efnet.com/

regards,
-seiki

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:21 pm
by Hardy
seiki wrote:That url, munkaroo, is for new US server links, and it's current, or should be soon. It requires a vote on US admins to change/update it, which I believe Disciple is doing.

Since this proposed server is in portugal, he's going to want the EU application which is at: http://www.eu-efnet.com/

regards,
-seiki
And just for the fun of it when we are talking about application forms to EFnet, this is the newly voted in and approved one for CA-EFnet: http://www.ca-efnet.org/ca-efnet-app.txt

Canada also wants to exspand, so if you have some bandwith let us know;)

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:49 pm
by deww
I think the links to all of these link apps to should be included in a FAQ somewhere. Once in a blue moon when a brave, but generous soul asks the question in #help, I don't know where to direct them, besides for the US one. I mean this thread works too, but a collective, single post might be a good idea too.

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:16 pm
by BrainRooT
Well, i read the file today.
It is very hard to have a dedicated server in Portugal. In our country, that is almost unreachable.
I can get a fast machine, located near Lisbon, Portugal, but it isn't dedicated. But i know personally all the server staff, so, there aren't security problems, i assure.

Who can I contact about this?
It would be fine to have a Portuguese server on EFnet, cause the nearest is *.fr, and the count of portuguese users going to EFnet is growing.

E.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:42 am
by Hardy
BrainRooT wrote:Well, i read the file today.
It is very hard to have a dedicated server in Portugal. In our country, that is almost unreachable.
I can get a fast machine, located near Lisbon, Portugal, but it isn't dedicated. But i know personally all the server staff, so, there aren't security problems, i assure.

Who can I contact about this?
It would be fine to have a Portuguese server on EFnet, cause the nearest is *.fr, and the count of portuguese users going to EFnet is growing.

E.
Unless the server is dedicated, has atleast two underutilized OC3 ( 155mbit/s) links and has full support from the uplink/isp to link EFnet, it will not even be considerd.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:02 pm
by seiki
deww wrote: <snip>
...I think the links to all of these link apps to should be included in a FAQ somewhere....
<snip>
do it up, I'd love to see more content for our site.

I'm playing with the idea of a webform to generate new server apps.

-seiki

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:20 pm
by Hwy
http://www.efnet.nl/links.php contains links to the US and EU server apps, as well as other potentially useful information.

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:37 am
by sealie
Hwy wrote:http://www.efnet.nl/links.php contains links to the US and EU server apps, as well as other potentially useful information.
That URL lacks of updated URL's and info.

We need to donkey punch Riedel!

- sealie

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:54 pm
by munky
http://www.efnet.info/?module=docs has (i believe) current apps, and if they aren't current each app has a link to its source.

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:31 pm
by Jepp
if this person is still alive, when do you think you'll try to link the server up? i thnk it would be great to have something other than a .nl or .se server for european connections