the anti Jew chanel shuld be closed.

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

dkbnc

the anti Jew chanel shuld be closed.

Postby dkbnc » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:19 am

i think everyone know about the anti jew chan #hitler

chans topic:
[11:07:35] * Topic is '<lapointe> pretending you mistakenly typed /j #hitler on a channel called #israel is simply HILARIOUS'
its very low level ^

i dont think any racism can be allowed in efnet or in any other irc networks.
why efnet admins doing nothing?
i hope to get a serious answer.
Zyrkon

Postby Zyrkon » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:04 am

Actually i'm checking some serverrules but i remember the slogan "ircops don't care about channel affairs"and I think this is as good as it is.

Since those peoples are only chatting and don't abuse the network it may be legitim to be there for them, too. Freedom of opinion.. you know?
(If someone jupes the chan now it's truly not in my interest, too ;) )

-Zyrkon
dkbnc

Postby dkbnc » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:17 am

"ircops don't care about channel affairs"
its not a kiddies fight its real hate against jew people..like is said racism.

Since those peoples are only chatting and don't abuse the network it may be legitim to be there for them, too. Freedom of opinion.. you know?
you didnt read what i said? when they join .il chans and flooding with "join #hitler" or picturing ascii cross its not called abuse?

as a german guy i can see why its only "Freedom of opinion" for you but its not working that way.
Nico

Postby Nico » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:58 am

If they are spammers or flooders, then they may be banned from the network. That's indeed against most (if not all) the servers' policies. Unfortunately, I can't remember seeing racism or hate listed as being forbidden and hunted in a server's MOTD.

There's also nothing that prevent you from banning them from your channel. If you do have bots or friendly ops, you can configure them/their clients to automatically ban people when certain words/graphics appear.

I'm afraid Zyrkon is right. Opers don't want to get involved in channel matters. And that's usually a good thing. I think the network avoids a lot of fights this way.

I also believe you have more chances to get a real answer talking to an irc operator on irc. Some of them don't read these forums. Some servers are .il, so you might start there.
as a german guy i can see why its only "Freedom of opinion" for you but its not working that way.
This sounds like a serious problem so we probably shouldn't start making funny (or not so funny) comments about each other.
I consider their actions are stupid but they have the right to be stupid. It's hard to tell if it's a good or a bad right. However, it's our role either to teach them how to be a little more clever or to prevent our friends from being hurt by them.
wundr

Postby wundr » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:12 pm

dkbnc wrote:its not a kiddies fight its real hate against jew people..like is said racism.
I haven't visited the channel in question, but from the channel name and what is in the topic, it just looks like a few kids playing around and trying to get a reaction from some overly-sensitive people (getting a reaction to a channel name rather than actual advocation of hate and violence)
orange1

Postby orange1 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:55 pm

some servers do have it juped, but certainly not for racism or anything like that. as far as i know, the servers that have it juped did so for flooding. being an idiot is not a g:line-able offense.
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:48 pm

Yep. Not many people would agree with anything there, but what do we do? A forced takeover to shut it down? They'll go to another channel.

We have it juped because of abuse (IRC, not otherwise). I'm pretty sure that a bunch of other servers do, too.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
evil

Postby evil » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:56 am

dkbnc,
I understand your disgust regarding the racist channel, however, you will probably find that every form of racism is represented on efnet in all sorts of racist channel names. The only thing you can do is keep them out of your channels. There's tcl's for eggdrop out there that will scan a user when they come in your channel and ban anybody who is sitting in an offensive channel(s) that you have selected. They could just make the channel +s and you wouldn't see it, but what I have found is that most of them keep the channel -s as some sort of twisted "badge of honor" so people can see it when they do a /whois. I know how you feel though, kind of makes you want to go and find some of these idiots and strangle them.
methamp

Re: the anti Jew chanel shuld be closed.

Postby methamp » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:44 am

dkbnc wrote:i dont think any racism can be allowed in efnet or in any other irc networks.
Racism is just a point of view, like religion or politics. You may not agree with it, but there's a command called /quit which ends such acts from being displayed to your computer.
methamp @ EFnet
Talar jag engelska? Ja.
evil

Postby evil » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:13 pm

Racism a point of view?

What flavor was that kool-aid?
methamp

Postby methamp » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:04 pm

evil wrote:Racism a point of view?

What flavor was that kool-aid?
Grape. It was grape.

Without someone thinking that these racial ideas are fact, there would be no racism. Every person has their own POV on things. I for one am against such hatred towards other human beings, therefore, anti-racism would be my point of view.

I hope that has made my previous statement a bit clearer to you, evil.
methamp @ EFnet
Talar jag engelska? Ja.

Postby 3857 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:32 pm

everyone is racist oneway or another i think #hitler was a madman but, the kiddiesin the channel #hitler are probably 15 year olds trying to do what m&m (aka skittles) does for rap.... be as controversial as possable to get people to notice you.... if you dont like it dont join #hitler

Postby 4423 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:42 pm

lapointe is ~rnoy@i.didnt.read.the.forum.rules * rnoy
lapointe using irc.efnet.pl ATMAN, Warsaw, Poland
lapointe End of /WHOIS list.

netvision is an israeli isp my brother even works there .
not sure if he's using a proxy or not

it could of been taken over then since tho
topic :MEL GIBSON rulez
Last edited by 4423 on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0versight

Postby 0versight » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:52 am

Why does it matter? There is anti-black, anti-white, anti-latino channels all over efnet, there should be no special treatment for anti-semite channels, efnet is the wild wild west....accept it or move onto another network.
IRC is how I deal with reality.

Postby 4423 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:49 am

I meant hate channels in general.