Ways to increase EFnet userbase

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

contactlens

Ways to increase EFnet userbase

Postby contactlens » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:41 am

Hey everyone,

I just had a few ideas which may help EFnet get some more users in the long run. Feel free to add some stuff or comment on this. 8)

1. Do interviews with various people.

For example, get a team together who would be able to contact various people of different companies and projects to come an do a Q&A session on EFnet. There would be a global notice 1 hour before the session starts for users to join a certain channel in which the interview would be held in. The room would be set +m, and various people would be picked at random to ask the person a question. Possible people to interview would include Microsoft staff, Developers of various Linux distributions, creators of various IRC clients, etc. It would boost interest in EFnet, and would encourage people to join the network.

2. Get some community-oriented things going

Maybe have a pseudo-official channel in which users are encouraged to come and have a nice chat. It would make users feel welcomed, and would remind them of a small-close knit community. Maybe an official support channel would help out too.

3. Offer something new to IRC

Maybe if EFnet brought something new to the IRC community, like Dalnet did with services, there would be an increase in user population, because EFnet would be the first and only network to offer this new feature. I was thinking of perhaps some new channel modes or something. Maybe even a way to link to channel together. Lets say a channel named #chat wanted to link with the channel #chatterz. They would set a mode like +L (link maybe?) and would specify the channel they wish to link with. Then, when a user joins #chat, people on #chatterz would see him as if he had just joined #chatterz, and vice-versa.

I'll add some more ideas when I get them :wink:
groop

Postby groop » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:13 am

Services? EFNet?

/me smacks the living shit outta bulio

I prefer EFNet just the way it is. As for the other stuff... oh wait, i gotta go pee
auth {
user = "cpe-24-209-1??-?.woh.res.rr.com";
password = "asifiwould";
spoof = "unable.to.resolve";
flags = no_tilde;
class = "users";
};
contactlens

Postby contactlens » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:18 pm

groop wrote:Services? EFNet?

/me smacks the living shit outta bulio

I prefer EFNet just the way it is. As for the other stuff... oh wait, i gotta go pee
No, no, I don't mean implement services! 8)

I mean do something that makes EFnet stand out from the rest. (Dalnet was unique when it created services, what if EFnet created something brand new in the IRC world? but not services)
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:01 pm

How about "chanfix"?

Oh wait, that's already been done...
- HM2K - https://hm2k.org/
Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:47 am

I`ll just say what i have in the other posts :)

I still belive the only way to bring IRC back to its old glory is for mIRC to update their client with webcam/sound support, possibly emotions ( which would require some small changes in the ircd aswell ), a whois that actually gives usefull information (ASL stuff, picture, gallery) and that this support NAT protocol better.

IRC and efnet in general used to be about chat and warez.. chatters have moved to IM and warez have moved to rizon/criten/linknet/private networks. Personally i dont miss warez and the wars that brought along, but i do miss the chatters. Which is why the features we need is something to compete with IM.

We have one thing IM doesnt have, and would be a hudge advantage for us, and that is channels/groups/chatroom.. Places people can meet and discuss the same topics. Not like IM where you have to know the person first and approving their mailadress to get them in your list.

I belive that is what will bring users back, aslong as we get the "new fancy stuff" added to the most popular GUI based client out there... This isnt 1988 anymore, we dont need for IRC to be text only..
-- Hardy
Administrator: irc.underworld.no
Services Administrator
http://www.efnet.org admin/staff
deww

Postby deww » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:03 pm

Hardy wrote:This isnt 1988 anymore, we dont need for IRC to be text only..
ACK! *HEART ATTACK* ACK! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!
Maybe you do have a point. The emoticons and webcam stuff is what draws people away.
deppy

Postby deppy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:39 am

I'm sorry to bring up a dead thread...but there are just some IRC folks that I wouldn't want to see on a webcam and others that I would love to see (PIGGY MSG ME!!!!!).

As for the emoticons. There wouldn't have to be any server-side changes. The cgi irc clients already support emoticons in them and so does Trillian when used with IRC (iirc). Anyone personally know the mIRC authors?
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:04 pm

mIRC doesn't work like that, to support emoticons it would have to re-render the textarea, and no doubt would need to be changed entirly...

I don't think it would be welcomed by the mIRC community.
- HM2K - https://hm2k.org/

Postby 3857 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:40 pm

Efnet is just fine the way the way it is.... if there was a bigger userbase it will start to look like undernet or even worse dalnet... filled with people who dont speak english and pretend they are teenagers so they feel like they are a part of a group... let efnet be and let the chips fall where they may.
holm

Postby holm » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:16 am

sincom wrote:Efnet is just fine the way the way it is....
The way it is, or the way it was?
http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/top10gr ... ?year=2006
I dare you to click on '2005', '2004' and so on.

--
Espen

Postby 3928 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:44 am

if mirc was to include web cam support , asl on whois etc.. etc.. we will fill up with perverts and predators in no time. I think i would rather deal with the warez? hate to break it to you guys, but when chanfix was implemented it broke efnet if you ask me. but then again, the servers dont get attacked as much as they used to.

Postby 3832 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:09 pm

deww wrote:
Hardy wrote:This isnt 1988 anymore, we dont need for IRC to be text only..
ACK! *HEART ATTACK* ACK! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!
Maybe you do have a point. The emoticons and webcam stuff is what draws people away.
uhuh, emoticons and cam stuff just gets you
"BoyWcAM69 press 111 to chatz! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) "

Postby 3857 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:24 pm

holm wrote:
The way it is, or the way it was?
http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/top10gr ... ?year=2006
I dare you to click on '2005', '2004' and so on.

--
Espen

i agree the way it was.......