Your EFnet wishlist

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Postby 4220 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:29 pm

[plat0nic] wrote: Lets say there's an EFnet bot, users can do /msg klinebot user <mandatory>. The bot would then send back a random string that you have to send back to the bot to verify you're a real person.
Because bots cant reply to random strings...

Some of the previous suggestions sound good like:
voluntary (user mode like +x?) hasing of hosts/ips (hides ips but the users can still be banned by ip)
Channel modes +c +C (colour blocking and CTCP blocking)
TOPIC length being standardised sounds good (200?)

SILENCE command as in other networks (most of the other large networks)
nickfix sounds like a good idea

no nicks above 9 really needed, they get in the way
plat0nic

Postby plat0nic » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:24 pm

IRWolfie- wrote:
[plat0nic] wrote: Lets say there's an EFnet bot, users can do /msg klinebot user <mandatory>. The bot would then send back a random string that you have to send back to the bot to verify you're a real person.
Because bots cant reply to random strings...

Some of the previous suggestions sound good like:
voluntary (user mode like +x?) hasing of hosts/ips (hides ips but the users can still be banned by ip)
Channel modes +c +C (colour blocking and CTCP blocking)
TOPIC length being standardised sounds good (200?)

SILENCE command as in other networks (most of the other large networks)
nickfix sounds like a good idea

no nicks above 9 really needed, they get in the way
1. A bot can do whatever you want it to. What I suggested is far within the realm of possibility.

2. I am against any form of host masking. I agree with the people who argue that it would just force the kiddies to go after the server rather than the single client, because they will no longer have access to the IP.

3. We have a silence feature already.. it's called /mode mynick +g, and /accept.

4. I'm still uneasy about the "nickfix" idea. While it's not full blown nickserv, which did I mention I'm also 100% against?, it's still a drastic change in the way efnet works.
It's not something we can really test out to see if we like it, and dump it if we don't.

It has to build some sort of database from scratch, and it would take many months to be effective.
and there's no way for it to keep track of nicks on dynamic IPs (same issue with chanfix), so that rules out about half of EFnet.

It would have to run for a long time in a limited functionality mode, where it simply monitors nicks/hosts. Then after the database has had time to get an idea of which hosts use which nick, we could run it in full functionality mode.

Seriously though people, what's the big deal, it's just a nickname. If it gets taken, add some chars to it, or use a variation of it. It's not the end of the world because someone has your nick that you've had for 5 years.
If you give a shit that much, you take IRC too serious.

btw, does anyone actually attempt to ask the user, NICELY (kissing ass goes a looooong way), if they can have the nick back?
People ask me all the time because one of my bots uses a nick that they've had forever. I've yet to refuse such a request, I simply pull up a new nick that isn't used.

Postby 4748 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:24 am

# How long you have been on EFnet: since 1994
# Why you are still on EFnet (or why did you leave): I like mayhem and have lots of friends on efnet
# What would keep you from leaving: continued stability
# What would make you leave EFnet (if implemented): If I stayed through daily lagkills/hacked ops/hacking ops back, etc.. I can't imagine what would make me leave.
# (new) What do you think would help attract more people to EFnet? Who cares? Really. Are we glad that we got droves of AOL users? If EFNet were in danger of drying up and being passed on as irrelevant or antiquated, then it's a fair question, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

So here's my efnet wishlist to make us more relevant so we can grow! :
- gateway bots between secondlife and myspace, so we can communicate and lolz with all our friends
- a new extension that finally implements the ability to embed animated avatars within our nicks, so that clients could eventually support something so cool!
- IRC -> RSS gateway so i can just check whats going on in my favorite channels on my blackberry, eventually embedding this into the corporate dashboard i use with stock tickers etc.
- EFNet Myspace and Faceoff partnering so we can bring in more of the unwashed masses!
- Weekly skype teleconferences to explore possible synergies from evolving and converging technologies, culminating in a serendipitous climax of killer applications we can call EFNet 2.0.

But seriously.. There are a few things I'd like:

- I like the idea of address mangling/"hiding", but it's hard to picture how it would work well, and keep addresses truly private, without breaking DCC. How do you hide the true address from clients and still allow unfettered client to client access via dcc (which is sort of an abomination anyway, but that's another story) ?
- I REALLY like the idea of client<>server SSL, and server links also protected by SSL. In this day and age that is the one thing I really don't like about efnet, is its wide-openness. Wait. I like that too. But I also don't. SSL good.
- I would really love the ability to use TOR.. to register, to somehow prove that I am who I say I am (behind the scenes), and have the ability to use a passworded I: in order to use TOR .. but I realize that the abuse this could open up probably makes it impossible. (anyone want to hook a brother up? =)

all that said, i like the stability since TS went into effect (and all the later improvements).. keep things like they are more or less, and i'll keep coming back.

Pfft
slakker

Postby slakker » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:37 pm

I've been on EFnet since '96. As far as functionality is concerned, I'd have to say to not add or change much of anything. It's probably safe to say the majority of people who have been on EFnet for any length of time happen to like it the way it is. I don't think drastic changes (eg. Chan/NickServ, halfops, address masking) are the way to go in keeping or attracting more users. I think a higher MAXLIST is a great idea since it would attempt to give users something to help with spam issues, yet still holds on to the idea of letting people take care of things themselves. Personally, if the idea here is to attract more people I think that Bratty is on to something in trying to create more of a community. Basically, consider ideas that will make EFnet more than just a bunch of linked ircds. Don't try to emulate what other networks are doing functionally. We like EFnet because it's EFnet.

- slakker
Dario

Postby Dario » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:51 am

Been around since '94

Not sure much can be done to improve IRC in general or EFnet specifically. Mudds are mostly gone. IRC given way to the gui chats.

As we have all seen over this time the "NET" has created more ways to be yourself!

You see many specialized IRC networks now.

EFnet has always stood for freedom to me! ;-) In the old days it really proved the do unto other principle!

I chatted for years without having any problems because for the most part I was nice.

When I did have some problems it was usually when I was being a dick! ;-)

I have learned to live with the spam. Usually not that bad for me. Not on many really BIG channels.

I usually advise people to take responsibility for yourself and learn to /ignore. Took me years to learn. If I really have learned this! ;-)

What would make me leave....hmmmn if services where implemented. Chanfix is bad enough. ;-)

If I lost my cheap shell account! ;-)

I thought I would give up when I was not able to shell whore anymore. ;-)

I have seen the psuedo politics of many associations blow up the group dynamics. It has been a good education. Kind of makes you realize why politics does not work on a larger basis!!

My big wish. Keep the RULES to a minimum. Then you do not have people screaming. "So and SO did this!! It is clearly stated in Article II that noone should do XXXX" Live and let live. Do no harm to others. ;-)
Member DNRC
emmi

Postby emmi » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:42 am

MSN smilies.
seraph

Postby seraph » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:18 pm

* How long you have been on EFnet - 1999

* How long have I been on IRC - 1997

* Why you are still on EFnet (or why did you leave) - Come and go to find old/new friends, boredom, nostalgia, scene things, etc

* What would keep you from leaving - Changing with the times

* What would make you leave EFnet (if implemented): It's the things that aren't implemented that make this network the least of worthwhile networks for me now as far as having fun and chatting... but it does have a few pluses as the user base here is a bit unique compared to the friendlier/fun networks

* (new) What do you think would help attract more people to EFnet? Obviously, nickname or channel registration or at least, the half-op ability since eggdrop does support this. It would be interesting to have a super mode for a channel -- such as for your own botnet and everyone else could have half op, it'd solve many problems without the need for channel or nick registration, and perhaps a human op here and there... but still not the most ideal scenario for new users - but existing users would appreciate it.

I see the kiddie botnet coder lordares whose net touts taking over channels on EFnet is against services and half-ops, go figure on that one! Despite people are stupid to have their channel taken over it is a defense against those that basically live to cause shit on IRC, shit is something I nor most people I know care about.. except the drama flies -- and yeah, EFnet is plagued with those at all levels, and yeah -- they aren't new user friendly :)

I can't see the administrators that vote allowing half-ops given services are disallowed... and if services were allowed - you'd get opers dropping user nickname registrations likely to get their pick... the less power they have to abuse the harder it is for them to enjoy doing what they do -- not everyone again but I'm sure we all see it on a daily basis if we casually take a look.

So, in the end, will new users be easy to attract ? Given some better forms of channel management (like half-op) are implemented, I can see it helping 'some' transitions. The more radical the change though, the better. But, that is probably the happiest medium I can think of regarding channel management as to not disturb the old and the new, and the opers. The end at the very least should foster existing and some future channel growth.. but only time will tell.

I might post more later, pretty busy!
blink

Postby blink » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:03 am

* I moved newly to EFnet.
* I've been using irc for over ten years (since 97).
* -
* EFnet is not a complicated server. it's just a great server with the right people to run it.
* If my nickname has been taking by someone else and I couldn't return it back (that simple).
* normally, most users stabilize on some servers just for knowing that the operating of the whole server is great. (that's why I left my previous network).
f1rePP4L

Postby f1rePP4L » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:06 pm

less oper abuse plz. Its not called Eris FREE Net for nothing
phisher1

Postby phisher1 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:11 pm

The fact that oper abuse remains is somewhat of a good thing.. It at least shows that opers are still interested in the network.. I, most likely unlike yourself, use the term 'abuse' pretty loosely. I think .. to a point ... oper's have earned the right to a certain level of abuse. If oper's couldn't abuse anymore, they might all leave the network and EFnet would cease to exist. Some opers unfortunately do take the power a little bit too much to their head and go on random killing rampages over user related issues where an oper should not involve themselves or exercise their priviledges. If you find some oper abuse to be excessive, /admin a server and report them. I would hope that most EFnet admins would at least listen to and consider acting upon any legitimate claims of oper abuse.

To answer the questions that seem to be driving this thread.

* How long you have been on EFnet - 12 years

* How long have I been on IRC - 13 years

* Why you are still on EFnet (or why did you leave) - EFnet is home. I've developed many relationships here that I really don't want to lose. I've known a lot of people on EFnet longer than most of my real life relationships.. mainly because most of the people I know in real life are intellectually challenged. I've met some of the smartest people I've ever known on EFNet. And before Google, hell.. IRC was a God-Send for technical support. I've never left, nor do I plan on leaving.

* What would keep you from leaving - EFnet continuing to exist.

* What would make you leave EFnet (if implemented): I think one thing that has kept EFnet the way it is is the lack of nickname and channel services. Everyone has a chance to get the nickname they want or a channel they want. (Excluding oper nicks of course. =| ) Other networks with nick and channel services I'm sure have squatters that just register up every possible "cool" nickname and channel name that may be of interest to at least 1 user for the next 20 years.. That is just lame. If you want to squat on EFnet, it at least takes a little work and a stable connection. So, if channel and nickname registration services were implemented, I may not leave EFnet, but I'd certainly be pissed.

At least ONE thing I would like to see happen would be for NickServ and ChanServ to autorespond to any user queries with something as simple as "There are no Nickname or Channel services on EFnet." I know that is in the realname gecos, but I doubt many users /whois nickserv when they try to register..

Anywho.. my $.02

phisher1
fjex

Postby fjex » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:39 pm

How about a usermode to hide channels in your /whois, i know you could +sp channels, but you can't +sp channel your not op in right?, i get lot of stalkers join all the channels thats not +sp that i am in, plus other users would like that too.
phisher1

Postby phisher1 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:12 pm

fjex wrote:How about a usermode to hide channels in your /whois, i know you could +sp channels, but you can't +sp channel your not op in right?, i get lot of stalkers join all the channels thats not +sp that i am in, plus other users would like that too.
Interesting idea..
I think it would be welcomed by many people. User mode super invisible.
luminoso

Re: Your EFnet wishlist

Postby luminoso » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:08 pm

i love the way that efnet is simple
no fakemask, no chanserv/nickserv/etc

i just miss the SSL support..
skrizatch

I second the comment on services ...

Postby skrizatch » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:17 am

phisher1 wrote: * What would make you leave EFnet (if implemented): I think one thing that has kept EFnet the way it is is the lack of nickname and channel services. Everyone has a chance to get the nickname they want or a channel they want. (Excluding oper nicks of course. =| ) Other networks with nick and channel services I'm sure have squatters that just register up every possible "cool" nickname and channel name that may be of interest to at least 1 user for the next 20 years.. That is just lame. If you want to squat on EFnet, it at least takes a little work and a stable connection. So, if channel and nickname registration services were implemented, I may not leave EFnet, but I'd certainly be pissed.
Ha! Indeed. Services aren't worth the headache it takes to maintain them. I have been on EF for many years and have never had any complaints. I also like the website redesign, I just wish more people used the forums :( . There probably isn't anything that would get me to leave. I guess I have enough faith that you all won't do anything to disrupt the process.

~ skriz
TeamAimee

Re: Your EFnet wishlist

Postby TeamAimee » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:40 am

ZOMG

What would make me leave efnet is if I unsuccessfully tried to take a channel...and then cried about it to efnet admins on the efnet forum and got called out for being a whiney fucking douchebag!!!!!!111111111

You know what, I am going to go sailing, sailing ALWAYS makes me feel better.

ps. lucky im going SAILING

pps. oh HAY..did I mention Im going sailing?