Invite Spamming

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Snoop

Invite Spamming

Postby Snoop » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:33 am

Hello,
in these past days there is (once again) alot of invite-spamming.

Now usually they invite to channels they just created, but i've seen also invite bots who invite for 'regular' channels like #computer or #americanidol (just two examples).

If you whois these clients, they are always connected to irc.nac.net.

example:
 · · Invite : to #computers by [ gabbled ]
 [ /whowas gabbled ] ————————————————————————————
  : › Address : ~cruet@***
: › Name : rosery pearlesce parrakeet cliquish
: › Server : irc.nac.net [ Sat Apr 14 12:08:58 2007 ]

· · Invite : to #americanidol by [ muonic ]
[ /whowas muonic ] ————————————————————————————
: › Address : ~cruet@***
: › Name : rosery pearlesce parrakeet cliquish
: › Server : irc.nac.net [ Sat Apr 14 11:28:24 2007 ]
irc.nac.net is one of the two servers which are still running the (obsolete) csircd which allows invites from non-opped clients.
Now this is not only annoying, but it gets spammers and grievances to regular channels which have no idea of what's going on, since every user can massinvite to their channels.

So my suggestions is to either turn the invite for non-opped clients off on these servers, or update them to a decent ircd.
orange1

Postby orange1 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:06 pm

if they're invite spamming, you can /stats p the server they on and have an active oper k:line them.
Snoop

Postby Snoop » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:42 pm

Thank you, but i did that already three times yesterday. But i guess you know as well as i do that there are many bots who send out these invites which are connected only a minute to invite. And it's hard to find the owner of these bots, in the cases where i found them, i reported them via stats p already.
And it's pointless to place a kline for a bot that is only a minute online anyways :)
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:36 am

then bug moogle to change it, he's the current developer for csircd (and did a fantastic job at getting it up to snuff with TS6)
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
billy-jon

Postby billy-jon » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:58 am

http://rfc.net/rfc1459.html#s4.2.7

Note that the rfc states a check for '@' is only needed when the channel is +i.

csircd behaves correctly, and since moogle updated it to be compatible with TS6, is no longer out-dated.
jilles

Postby jilles » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:20 pm

billy-jon wrote:Note that the rfc states a check for '@' is only needed when the channel is +i.
The RFC also states that it is possible to invite to nonexistent or invalid channels, and no efnet server allows that.

Looking at it pragmatically, there is no reason for nonchanops to be able to invite to a channel, as it would not affect whether the target user can join anyway. A normal PRIVMSG or NOTICE suffices for that purpose.

By the way, the csircd servers are not the only ones allowing nonchanops to invite. I won't go into specifics at this time.

An additional consideration is that if all servers do invite_ops_only, it becomes possible to make /invite bypass +l (limit) too. The RFC requirement should be interpreted as follows: no /invite shall affect whether the target user can join unless it comes from a channel operator. Note that invite-through-ban is silly; that's what ban exceptions are for.
billy-jon

Postby billy-jon » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:44 am

Compliance with the RFC is not a bad thing, unless it breaks things. This does not.