Why is this even in the dns pool?

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

felosi

Why is this even in the dns pool?

Postby felosi » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:50 pm

Why do you put servers in your dns pool that has entire countries banned? Or you can only access from certain countries?
Really, I mean its not the biggest deal in the world but sometimes it takes 5 minutes to connect through irc.efnet.org because of dead servers, cycling through gay crap like this
Fri Jun 1 11:41:32 :User felosi () got disconnected (from irc.efnet.org) Reason: *** Banned: please try irc.efnet.us
If I was to post a log off all the "banned" , dead, and crappy servers it tries to connect to usually it would fill up 2 posts.

I just dont understand why you would have servers in the dns pool that dont accept all connections, heck Id say there is more then a few dead servers in the dns pool as well

Ok Im not bitching or anything, I guess griping a lil, just curious of the reasoning behind some of that
Dario

Postby Dario » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:47 pm

Did you add irc.efnet.us to be your 1st attempted server connect?

Not sure why the servers with restricted i lines would be in the top level round robin rotation. This seems a bit counter intuitive to me also.

I never use such round robins and connect directly to a server that is within my geographic area. I am sure that this type of error would drive a new user crazy. I think it did when I was new. ;-) Hence why I learned to connect directly to particular servers.
Member DNRC
jilles

Postby jilles » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:18 pm

An alternative is a more sophisticated round robin, that checks in which continent/region/whatever you are and returns a server from there (or just a pointer to a regional round robin). Some other networks do things like this.
orange1

Postby orange1 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:17 pm

i don't think there are any dead servers in the round robin, unless you tried connecting while there was still a cached entry for a recently delinked server. if you don't think you should be banned on a particular server, /stats p that server and talk to an active oper.
and there's a difference between being banned and not having an i:line. being banned typically means malicious behavior. though i know some countries route all traffic through a filter/firewall, so all traffic originating from that country appears to come from one IP. so if too many people try to connect from within that country, it can look like clones. there was one in Africa that did that, if i recall correctly.