EFNet Security Risk

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

EcKstasy

EFNet Security Risk

Postby EcKstasy » Mon May 26, 2008 8:51 am

Hello,I was recently on EFnet and noticed that there is No IP/Host masking,and i wanted something done about it,On that day i got hacked,Because the staff does not protect their users,I realise this is a big network,but still there should be some protection,All those hackers out there,Please,do something about it!
Pills
Forum Admin

Re: EFNet Security Risk

Postby Pills » Mon May 26, 2008 1:36 pm

EcKstasy wrote:Hello,I was recently on EFnet and noticed that there is No IP/Host masking,and i wanted something done about it,On that day i got hacked,Because the staff does not protect their users,I realise this is a big network,but still there should be some protection,All those hackers out there,Please,do something about it!
This has been discussed at length and discarded. Why? Because the onus of protecting ones self should fall to the user, and not the server. Why should the server be attacked for something the user did?
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
munky
Site Admin

Re: EFNet Security Risk

Postby munky » Tue May 27, 2008 3:23 pm

going online without a firewall, whether you go on IRC or not, you run a serious risk of getting hacked. even if we did provide host mangling, most IRC clients / scripts happily give out your IP in many ways that would completely defeat the purpose of host mangling.
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.