Nicks

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

User avatar
0versight
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:52 am
Location: Cen Cal

Nicks

Postby 0versight » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:15 pm

I never knew why Efnet or even other servers do not allow nicks to start with a number? As my name here shows 0versight with a zero my actual nick is with an "O".
IRC is how I deal with reality.
prefect
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:25 pm
Location: Oslo

Re: Nicks

Postby prefect » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:38 pm

0versight wrote:I never knew why Efnet or even other servers do not allow nicks to start with a number? As my name here shows 0versight with a zero my actual nick is with an "O".
As far as I know this comes from the early days of IRC where channels didn't have names, only numbers. So to differ between channels and users beginning nicks with numbers is prohibited. (You use the same command on the ircserver to send a message to a channel and an user). Nowdays channels are prefixed with # or & or whatever, so if the irc-protocol was made today you would be able to start your nick with a number.
leeh
ircd-ratbox coder
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Nicks

Postby leeh » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:07 pm

prefect wrote:so if the irc-protocol was made today you would be able to start your nick with a number.
Possibly, but possibly not. Nicks starting with a number is an easy way of doing FNC - changing a users nick instead of killing them on a collide. As users cant change themselves to nicks like that, you can remove the possibility there'll be another collision. :)
User avatar
Jon
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:33 am
Location: NB.CA

Postby Jon » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:45 pm

let's have a vote:

Yes, I would like to use a number as the first character of my nickname.
No, change is bad.
leeh
ircd-ratbox coder
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:43 pm
Location: UK

Postby leeh » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:45 pm

Jon wrote:let's have a vote:

Yes, I would like to use a number as the first character of my nickname.
No, change is bad.
Or how about we dont, because not allowing numbers as the first character of a nick makes FNC so much easier should it be implemented in the future. :)
User avatar
munky
Site Admin
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:54 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ
Contact:

Postby munky » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:01 pm

for the sake of us non-ircd coders, what is FNC?
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
prefect
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:25 pm
Location: Oslo

Postby prefect » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:24 pm

munky wrote:for the sake of us non-ircd coders, what is FNC?
leeh wrote:Possibly, but possibly not. Nicks starting with a number is an easy way of doing FNC - changing a users nick instead of killing them on a collide. As users cant change themselves to nicks like that, you can remove the possibility there'll be another collision. :)
"Force Nick on Collide" would be my bet
leeh
ircd-ratbox coder
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:43 pm
Location: UK

Postby leeh » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:14 am

prefect wrote:"Force Nick on Collide" would be my bet
Youve just won a cuddly toy! Would you like it giftwrapped in tin foil?
prefect
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:25 pm
Location: Oslo

Postby prefect » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:33 pm

leeh wrote:Youve just won a cuddly toy! Would you like it giftwrapped in tin foil?
can that cuddly toy be you?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests