efnet servers being ddos'd - personal thoughts

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Do you think abusive opers are the reason for some of the attacks on efnet?

YES
61%
NO
39%

Total votes: 70
phisher1

Re:

Postby phisher1 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:34 pm

To say that opers are the cause of all server related ddos, is probably pretty close to the truth, whether or not the oper was "abusive" is another question.

Since the beginning of IRC..and hell..since the beginning of time for that matter, if you give something to the people, some of those people will inevitably want to destroy it and ruin it for those who appreciate it. In this case, the script kiddies don't really need an excuse to do their ddosing. Script kiddies don't use logic or reason when deciding to attack a server... they simply think that since they have some script a programmer wrote to exploit machines, they now deserve absolute respect from everyone. Nothing will change this. Opers all over EFnet could start kissing every ddoser's ass 12 times a day and hand out spoofs galore and ddosers will still attack when one thing or another doesn't go their way.

I voted yes originally to the poll because I didn't stop to think about the question. Abusive opers, if they are truely abusive can cause attacks on servers. What is so loosely defined though, is, WHAT IS ABUSE? Is an oper acting upon a floodnet or abusive bot or a nick juper abusive? Are opers allowed to make their own decisions and determine when a user is being abusive ? According to most users..no..they think they have certain inherited rights when connecting to an IRC server..which include being able to do whatever the hell they want. Unfortunately for the mass of egotistical lamers out there, this is not so. I'd guess that when most users think an oper is being abusive, the oper is merely acting upon the user's abuse.

IRC is not a democracy! The users do not get to decide how they or the servers they connect to are governed. Because of this, you will have people that will 'FIGHT THE POWER'.. ALWAYS.. It doesn't matter what you are dealing with.

Anywho...back to fighting the man.. aka work.
deww wrote:PS - I never cyber. K. Thx! Bye! :wink:
LIES!
dubkat

Re: efnet servers being ddos'd - personal thoughts

Postby dubkat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:47 pm

I've been on irc, and efnet for a number of years, and in that time, ive seen a plethora of servers come and go. I would surmise that a large number of servers that leave the network are because of packet monkies sucking up their bandwidth and affecting their network operations. I am a new oper on efnet, and I might have a different, maybe even naive point of view. Are there abusive opers? sure. But i don't think they are the direct cause of ddos attacks. Kiddies get bot nets to inflict damage, not make apple pie or sing songs of glee. They do it to prove how "big" they are, to make themselves feel important, to make people fear them, to feel invincible, and if they don't get their own way, they can make you feel their wrath they only way they know how... with packets. It occurs to me, these people have little regard for the network itself, other users, the many volunteers, opers, and admins that devote their time and energy to making efnet, or any network, and enjoyable place to chat (or whatever) (wow, that was a mouthful).

Why did server X.Y.Z get packetted into the ground? probably just because someone woke up on the wrong side of the crib, their favorite character got voted off their reality tv show, or... they were acting like an ass on irc, and were told to shape up. They do it, because they can.
Dan
[A] efnet.port80.se
[O] efnet.portlane.se, irc.nordunet.se
[CHANFIX] Authentication successful. Welcome, dubkat.
ircd-ratbox & dronemon developer
kolikata21

Postby kolikata21 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:07 pm

If some few bad apples actually sit there and think they have accomplished something by trying to DDoS one the the few last remaining resources on the internet still ran for the public freely then they do not comprehend what they are doing.

In short, DDoS was and is not presently being caused by IRCops. DDoS kiddies do what they do because they think it's cool and they all want to be like mafiaboy. They do something that requires relatively no talent (yes, you do have to store them) to host a botnet and attack a network. The larger the botnet, the larger the damage.

But for those of you who disagree and say, 'It's the IRCops' fault totally' then ask yourself this, "If an IRCop isn't rude, crude and disrespectful to those whom they think of as a threat, then how would they evaluate the situation and come to a conclusion on how to deal with the indevidual?".
au-

Postby au- » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:58 am

Abusive IRC operators are responsible if the server they are an operator on is ddosed.
au.
xmage

Postby xmage » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:11 am

au- wrote:Abusive IRC operators are responsible if the server they are an operator on is ddosed.

Thread necro'er. Let this shit die already lol
xmage@EFnet