does my primary router need to be configured and...

Post everything else here

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Other/Off Topic Moderators

dragonfly522

does my primary router need to be configured and...

Postby dragonfly522 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:39 am

Hi. I am somewhat a noob at this networking thing. I have configured networks for my internet before but I also had instructions to help me with the web interface. My question is about creating a repeater bridge. I need to know if the primary router needs a computer permanently connected to it via ethernet cable for the repeater bridge to work. My scenario is that I use this computer in room A with it wired to the router because when I used to have the computer in a different room I became unable to get an internet connection wirelessly after it was working for a while. I want to move this computer into room B permanently and use the internet via a local, secondary router, thus making a repeater bridge. To reiterate, I don't whether or not I need to have a computer connected to the primary router permanently in order for a repeater bridge to work. My guess is no. If not, do I need a specific configuration made in the web interface to the primary router before I head over to room B, or can I simply keep the configuration the way that it is? My problem is that I am envisioning a router that has no specific parameters on how to send the wireless signal to the secondary router. I have instructions on how to configure a repeater bridge, I just need to know what I have to do to the primary router before I can make it work. Also, if it is known, I would like to know if my router can function in a repeater bridge scenario. I am planning on upgrading the firmware on the secondary router to a DD-WRT firmware. A guy in a Netgear forum says that my Netgear WGR614 v8 router cannot function in a repeater set up. Is this true? Do you know?
Handle With Care

Re: does my primary router need to be configured and...

Postby Handle With Care » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:16 pm

Not sure about your specific question, but Netgear's website offers help at http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2590 -- the user manual is at ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WGR61 ... 8May08.pdf
EFnet IRC Network Forum Moderator
IRC Operator (IRCOp) irc.Prison.NET
Sic transit gloria mundi.