Religion discussions

Post everything else here

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Other/Off Topic Moderators

Kahr

Religion discussions

Postby Kahr » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:32 pm

If anyone is interessed in discussing religion, please do so here. For ovious reasons (both the forum rules and due to other people's safety, flaming or bashing is NOT allowed!). Try to keep the discussions clean, and try to be understanding of the other part. This is only a discussion that hopefully will let people know that they can live together no matter what their religion/belief/thoughts are.
"Dammit! That's like the third time I've been owned!" - Hiei
Iron-Maiden

Postby Iron-Maiden » Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:16 am

Man! I'm a muslim. So I dont think I can use this topic (all of you not muslim rite?!)
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:16 pm

what does being muslim have to do with discussing religion? are you not allowed to talk to non-muslims about religion?

i usually consider myself agnostic, but that doesn't stop me from talking to christians or catholics about religion...
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Jon

Postby Jon » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:57 am

don`t diss muslim

wouldn`t want a suicide bomber hitting an efnet server
Osc

Postby Osc » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:55 pm

munky isn't dissing muslim.

Iron-Maiden's comment made muslim sound like Co$.

And even if munky wanted to diss muslim, munky can.
This is like saying:
"Don't kline a packetmonkey because then it will DoS. "
"Don't diss christians cause they will crusade"
"Don't diss Roman Catholic cause they will bring back the inquisition."

And now for the on topic portion of this post =]

My thoughts on religion is that religion is usually a fine guideline on how to conduct ones self but should never be given any power or authority over anything what so ever.
irc.he.net Notice -- Osc (osc@irc.packetmonkeys.com) is now an operator
<CHANFIX> You're now logged in with the following flags: ADMIN.
<OCF> Authentication successful. Welcome, Osc.
Kahr

Postby Kahr » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:34 am

I am an atheist myself, but I am always interessed in hearing the opinion of religious people. There is nothing wrong with innocent discussions. Just try not to let things get out of hands. I am not trying to start a war, only a discussion as I am interessed in the subject.
HM2K

Postby HM2K » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:05 pm

Jeez, talk about off topic... lol, well i'm an atheist, or that other one where you only believe in God if its proven... I forget the name now...
- HM2K - https://hm2k.org/
Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:16 pm

HM2K wrote:Jeez, talk about off topic... lol, well i'm an atheist, or that other one where you only believe in God if its proven... I forget the name now...
Agnostic?
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:21 pm

agnostic One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

ok, so maybe i'm not true agnostic. i believe in the existence of god, but i don't follow any specific church. i guess there is no word for me.
In God we trust,
Kahr

Postby Kahr » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:52 pm

You are a believer, outside of any religion. Kinda like following your very own religion.

I am an atheist as far as it goes. I do not believe in any God at all. I do, however, believe in much scientific things. Like existance of living creaters on other planets, the evaluation of human from the monkey species etc.
I do also have my own theories on magic... Although the subject confuses me.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:54 pm

Kahr wrote:evaluation
evolution
Kahr wrote: I do also have my own theories on magic... Although the subject confuses me.
i don't believe in voodoo, magic, ghosts, etc, etc.
which to this you might say "but you believe in god, ...". well, yes. but i don't believe he takes blatently active roles like magic. i believe he/she/it is more like the butterfly flapping its wing in africa sort of thing. (or a monkey throwing poop in china causing a woman to win the lottery in NY)
In God we trust,
-wassup-

Postby -wassup- » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:36 pm

well i do believe in god (kinda...) but i dont believe in religeon....it causes huge problems. i live in a muslim country so i do see a lot of different views of religeons and such...that is also probably what led me to be anti-religeon
Beige

Postby Beige » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:04 pm

munky wrote:agnostic One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

ok, so maybe i'm not true agnostic. i believe in the existence of god, but i don't follow any specific church. i guess there is no word for me.
As with many complex subjects, some nuances of words are easily lost in concise generic definitions of words (or even to documenters of language).

Occasional debates still rage regarding the semantics of atheism vs agnosticism, but in a world where all knowledge is probabilistic, atheism is not generally associated with arrogant pretension to having absolute knowledge regarding the ontological status of one or more deities. Likewise, agnosticism is not generally associated with skepsis which would not also lend some credence to the possibility that one or more deities exist.

Practically speaking, one could generally be considered an atheist if one lived his or her life as if no supernatural deities existed (e.g. no attempts to gain influence with deities via prayers, incantations, burnt offerings etc). Likewise, one could be considered an agnostic if one doubted existence of such deities, but considered the existence of one or more deities plausible enough for one to perform prayers or similar rites anyway, "just in case."

Anyway, Khar, considering this is an IRC forum, how come you're not engaging in religious and/or philosophical discussions on IRC instead? :-)
tabarnac

Re: Religion discussions

Postby tabarnac » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:11 am

Kahr wrote:If anyone is interessed in discussing religion, please do so here.
Question: What if god was one of us? :)
munky
Site Admin

Re: Religion discussions

Postby munky » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:14 pm

tabarnac wrote: Question: What if god was one of us? :)
then he would probably be a slob like one of us</nostolgia>
In God we trust,