webchat

Ideas, suggestions, and constructive criticisms about EFnet's Websites

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, Website/Ideas/Suggestions Moderators

Klimpong

webchat

Postby Klimpong » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:49 pm

Could you make user authenticate with their forum account? We had repeated abuse on channels where users with "chat.efnet.info" joined and spammed channels. ;)

Not a big deal, but a nice to have.
seiki

Postby seiki » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:45 am

sure, we could.. but what would stop them from just signing up for new forum accounts?. then we'd have to moderate and approve all new users, and that would suck..

the best thing to do, is log the abuse, and send it to abuse@efnet.info

we'll do what we can to track them down and make their lives miserable.

thanks!

-douglas
SimonB

Postby SimonB » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:21 pm

Perhaps you could run a script on chat.efnet.org to check for open proxies on the standard ports. That way it would be easier to ban abusive people behind the cgi:irc.

I have noticed problems with cgi:irc with certain proxies. The connection to the IRC server can keep running for up to 24 hours after the user has disconnected. It will still reply to PING etc for the whole duration. I wont go into detail here but I assume this could be abused somehow...
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:26 pm

if the client is disconnected from the session, the only abuse a 'ghost' of this sort could do is to sit idle in a channel.

without re-writing the connection code for the cgi itself, we could not easily make it check for open proxies.

if someone is abusing from *@chat.efnet.info, contact any of the admins of the website, we all have access to edit the ipaccess file (though usually it's just me :P)
In God we trust,
Everyone else must have an X.509 certificate.
Klimpong

Postby Klimpong » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:14 pm

seiki wrote:sure, we could.. but what would stop them from just signing up for new forum accounts?. then we'd have to moderate and approve all new users, and that would suck..

the best thing to do, is log the abuse, and send it to abuse@efnet.info

we'll do what we can to track them down and make their lives miserable.

thanks!

-douglas
People always try to abuse things that have no authorization. It's little efford. Assuming GD lib or similar is installed on this server you can even block scripts from registering forum accounts.
Qube

Postby Qube » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:16 pm

munky wrote:iif someone is abusing from *@chat.efnet.info, contact any of the admins of the website, we all have access to edit the ipaccess file (though usually it's just me :P)
Today I had to ban the whole of *!*@chat.efnet.info because of some lame asshat wreaking havok in #php. What would be really useful would be a constant ident (not sure how you work out the ident, but his kept changing).

Maybe, also as the previous poster suggested, tying it to accounts - then at least you're ip tracking becomes much easier since they have to have a working email to create the account. You don't need to approve everyone, but it'll stop the lamos from thinking they can get away with the abuse.

Cheers,

Paul.
wundr

Postby wundr » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:13 am

Qube wrote:What would be really useful would be a constant ident (not sure how you work out the ident, but his kept changing).
The ident as well as the realname/gecos field both have the user's originating IP in hex. You can use a scientific calculator to convert it, or there are web sites such as this that you can use to convert it to an IP address. for example, 7f000001@chat.efnet.info tells me that the address that is connecting to the web client is 127.0.0.1 (as an example). So, basically, it IS constant as long as the person connects to it from the same IP.
munky
Site Admin

Postby munky » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:38 pm

the user may be using dialup or open proxies. if either is the case, contact a chat.efnet.info admin (i believe felix, hardy, and i all have access) and we can ban the IPs in question.
In God we trust,
Qube

Postby Qube » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:48 pm

<look ma, I posted a log because I can't read the forum rules!>
skrizatch

Abuse Logging

Postby skrizatch » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:05 am

Qube wrote: d81a8446@chat.efnet.info
41f3dd34@chat.efnet.info

Basically the guy is trying to provoke a ban on all of chat.efnet.info.
I don't think he means for you to post abuse logs here. Also, the webchat seems to be down tonight at the moment (2:00 AM EST.) Webchat is and always will be one of those crap shoots that you just have to deal with one way or another. People who really want to be asshats can always find a way to be themselves.

That's my two cents ...

~ skriz
munky
Site Admin

Re: webchat

Postby munky » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:56 pm

well that was a long dead and forgotten thread...

but chat.efnet.org is back online now. lighttpd had crashed, apparently.
In God we trust,