gline abuse

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

f1rePP4L

gline abuse

Postby f1rePP4L » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:00 pm

Hello, earlier today I was glined by "zi" under the pretense of spamming, after i posted a link ONCE to a public, non-copyrighted song in mp3 format. Since when is that spamming? If so I believe EFnet's Spam Policy needs a serious looking at, when someone can gline for posting one link, let alone a valid, non-malicious, interesting, good link. When it is a opers discretion to gline over his personal opinion about something, and then use false pretenses like "Spamming" to do so, its a sad day on the Eris "Free" Network.

http://www.petitiononline.com/freef1re/
Pills
Forum Admin

Re: gline abuse

Postby Pills » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:21 pm

f1rePP4L wrote:Hello, earlier today I was glined by "zi" under the pretense of spamming, after i posted a link ONCE to a public, non-copyrighted song in mp3 format. Since when is that spamming? If so I believe EFnet's Spam Policy needs a serious looking at, when someone can gline for posting one link, let alone a valid, non-malicious, interesting, good link. When it is a opers discretion to gline over his personal opinion about something, and then use false pretenses like "Spamming" to do so, its a sad day on the Eris "Free" Network.

http://www.petitiononline.com/freef1re/
Have you read the FAQ?

The "Free" in "Eris Free" has NOTHING to do with how the network is run. We no longer have a server named Eris. Thus, the network is Eris Free.

If you want a network with no rules, then feel free to start one.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
f1rePP4L

Postby f1rePP4L » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:28 pm

exactly the response i expected, dont adress the real issue, but rather make me seem like an ass. You must know zi :)
deppy

Postby deppy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:51 pm

It wasn't zi. If you note he had a high idle time. It was me. I did it for the lulz.

Pills
Forum Admin

Postby Pills » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:15 pm

f1rePP4L wrote:exactly the response i expected, dont adress the real issue, but rather make me seem like an ass. You must know zi :)
You spammed. There was, apparently, proof enough that three opers/admins thought you should be gone.

Poof, you're gone.

If you expected that response, why do you post in such a way that you know is incorrect?

Also, coming on #efnet.org and spamming that petition? Not the way to go, unless you want that host to be G-lined, too.
admin, irc.umich.edu
oper, irc.servercentral.net
f1rePP4L

Postby f1rePP4L » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:52 pm

New rule on EFNet: No music, No links...its spam. Also, deppy i just deleted your ascii
f1rePP4L

Postby f1rePP4L » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:35 pm

the revolution fueled by this display of blatant disregard for the rights we have as chatters has really touched my heart, but what is even better is that im back on IRC. FREEDOM!!! Please delete my account now
phisher1

Postby phisher1 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:52 pm

Rights as chatters? That's rich.

*sniff* *sniff* .. I smell a troll.
evil

Postby evil » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:45 pm

I'm usually not a defender of the the 4th Reich, otherwise known as ircops, and yes zi is a genuine asshole whether or not he was responsible, and to quote zi "efnet.org is irrelevant any more", but, that being said there are numerous channels on efnet that would not allow spam of any type. Channel operators will ban any/all spam, url's, email addresses etc. and I fully agree with it because it is a place to chat and we shouldn't be subjected to random advertising, trolling, scams etc. So maybe next time you should ask first, or "look before you leap".
dubkat

Re:

Postby dubkat » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:38 pm

deppy wrote:It wasn't zi. If you note he had a high idle time. It was me. I did it for the lulz.

it's always deppy's fault!
Dan
[A] efnet.port80.se
[O] efnet.portlane.se, irc.nordunet.se
[CHANFIX] Authentication successful. Welcome, dubkat.
ircd-ratbox & dronemon developer
doug
Site Admin

Re:

Postby doug » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:43 pm

evil wrote: and to quote zi "efnet.org is irrelevant any more"
I believe he was talking about the channel, #efnet.org, which went to hell years ago.
^duck^

Re: gline abuse

Postby ^duck^ » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:51 am

An admin who initiates a gline request can do so for any reason (this was a vote passed on 06/18/04), and an oper can make a gline request on any user(s) for:
spamming, flooding, attempts to exploit security vulnerabilities with efnet servers or clients, drone nets, hacked machines/clients, distribution of malicious files (trojans, viruses, etc..).

In regards to oper zi: he is a hard working oper focusing on improving user experience (like most of us), and he typically receives insults from people who are abusing the network or people who don't understand his motives.

My two cents regarding channels on efnet:
(The) common belief on efnet (is) that nicks and channels are not owned. They are simply "occupied" or "in use". Excerpt from irchelp efnetfaq page.
Anyway, back to the thread subject.. Perhaps the gline will help you understand using an efnet server for chat is a privilege and not a just claim or right.

Bottom line: play nice! :)

--
Lori Palmer
Founder/Director
http://www.eversible.com