This is sad

General talk about EFnet

Moderators: Website/Forum Admins, EFnet/General Moderators

Kottalizer

This is sad

Postby Kottalizer » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:30 am

[O] Only few of mere mortals may try to enter the twilight zone
[CHANFIX] Incorrect username or password.
Handle With Care

Re: This is sad

Postby Handle With Care » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:40 pm

They have been misled in their conclusions. That graph shows the height of drone invasion before EFnet implemented ways to detect and get rid of most of them. Yes, other social networking methods are competing with IRC, but dedicated IRCers aren't all that interested in idiots describing each and every dump they take, except for data dumps.
EFnet IRC Network Forum Moderator
IRC Operator (IRCOp) irc.Prison.NET
Sic transit gloria mundi.
dwc99

Postby dwc99 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:34 am

I agree that it's sad. Looking at the image caused me to do a bit of reading about the current state of IRC. I must say what I found was moderately depressing.

The old days...
Handle With Care

Postby Handle With Care » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:43 pm

You log on here for the first time, and within a minute of reading this thread, you have done sufficient study to conclude this is sad. Sorry, pal. You're the one who is sad.
dwc99

Postby dwc99 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Handle With Care wrote:You log on here for the first time, and within a minute of reading this thread, you have done sufficient study to conclude this is sad. Sorry, pal. You're the one who is sad.
Why am I sad? You seem a little defensive my friend. Jumping to the conclusion that other people are jumping to conclusions? Just relax a bit and a conversation might happen.

I have been using EFnet almost daily since the 90s. Having recently read a book which mentions it quite a few times, and in the process sort of romanticises the whole experience, I started reminiscing about the old days and decided to see what was happening on the forums. Something I had never bothered to do. After viewing the image attached to this thread I found myself further researching the current state of IRC worldwide. What I read was rather disheartening.

At that point, I decided to contribute a bit and actually post in the thread which started my little trip down memory lane.

I don't see the harm. Perhaps you can elaborate.
Handle With Care

Postby Handle With Care » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:05 pm

dwc99:
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:34 pm
I think that about says it all. As for being defensive, if you'd even bothered reading just the entire thread, you'd have seen my own commentary on the original post. But, I suppose you'd rather encourage badmouthing and have the bazillion flood drones of the good old days.
dwc99

Postby dwc99 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:13 pm

That says it all? It says nothing. You tell me to read the "entire thread" which consists of two posts. And I did. I read your response before I posted. You failed to offer anything useful.

You then respond to me with disregard for the content of my post, suggesting you did not read it. If you had, you would understand there is no need to post the time stamps. I read the thread, spent hours doing research and talking to old friends about EFnet, then registered in order to post on the thread. So I hope you can grasp why you posting a 4 minute window has no relavence and does nothing to support any sort of point you think you are making. I'm sure you able to comprehend this chain of events. Or maybe you can't. If not I don't think there is anything else I can do to assist you.

Badmouthing? I love EFnet. I wish for it to outlive me. I wish to contribute towards that end, in some way. Obviously you are used to picking fights instead of having conversations. That's fine, but I am not here to have a frivolous argument with you. I was hoping to talk to some fellow EFnet lovers.
Handle With Care

Postby Handle With Care » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:31 pm

Suggest you review the stats at the bottom of http://stats.efnet.org/ -- it will show you more about the success of removing drones, zombies, and general flooders and spammers than any abandonment of EFnet. One can tell just about any lie or draw any misperception from raw statistics without any context. I've just given you the context. Yes, some people think raw numbers show how great they are. I can remember when the stats for EFnet were almost 100 servers, carrying over 100,000 connections. For me, I prefer quality over quantity any day. The figures in the graph originally cited are interesting, but for those of us working EFnet on a daily basis, that graph is like "AOL inches." If you've been around long enough, you'll know what that means.

As an example of context, over the past couple of days, there were 140 more posts on these forums than you will see today. Those were all spams by three spammers, which I deleted. Had I not deleted them and just pointed out what they were, one could, erroneously, conclude that this board is jumping a lot more than it is.